Happy New Year
This is the first official blog post for The L Think Crew! I am excited to be online today and sharing some great information on how to create your own free WordPress blog. Over the last few weeks, I’ve been thinking about digital marketing and communications and have been curious about learning and sharing more about this space with a wider audience. So, here we are today!
Benefits of WordPress
WordPress is a great content management system that allows for more flexibility and control over other systems, including:
- Search engine optimization (SEO): You can leverage built-in SEO techniques and add extensions and plug-ins. This will ultimately help with keyword ranking in search engines and help drive traffic to your website.
- Ease to use: You don’t need to rely on a creative team of graphic designers and programmers to setup and program your blog. You can use the in-build tutorials to setup posts, plugins and pick a design theme.
- Plug-ins: You can customize your WordPress site with plugins that tie into social sharing (Twitter, Facebook), track metrics for analytics, or even sell products. Learn more about the best SEO plugins here.
How To Create Your Free WordPress Blog
Now that we’ve convinced you of the benefits of WordPress, here is a quick guide to setting up your free WordPress blog:
- Go to https://wordpress.com/
- Click on ‘Create Website’
- Fill in your profile information: profile name, password, and website URL option
- When selecting your website URL, think of a name that has meaning to you, represents your product or service, and is meaning to potential customers / users. Brainstorm several options on paper and see the alternatives that WordPress lists
- View the various blog options. For the free blog, click on the ‘Create Blog’ option
- You will then move onto another screen where you will be asked to select your WordPress theme. There are thousands of free themes to choose from. It’s easier to browse and select one that suits your needs. You can always change your mind after this has been setup.
Now you are ready to begin creating your content under the WordPress blog posts options. You can customize your profile, dashboard, and content. I highly recommend looking at the WP Beginner Blog with articles and tip to get you started.